Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Old McPender Had a Farm... E-I-E-I-O


Last week Ryan brought home 10 little friends to join our pet family of 5 cats, 1 turtle and 1 goldfish.
They are cute and cuddly, (except their feet are really ugly!) and really loud when they are hungry.


In six months they will start laying eggs, which is why we have them. Fresh eggs are the best! In six weeks they would be ready to eat. Ryan mentioned this to the kids and they were all so disgusted by the thought, they all adamantly proclaimed they will be fasting that day. The funny thing is that this conversation took place as we were sitting at the dinner table eating.... you guessed it, chicken! ("But it's different, Dad, this came from the store!") Tate was so upset by the thought, that Ryan has dismissed the idea.


They are in a big crate in the garage with a heat lamp for now. We have to build a chicken coop in the backyard within the next few weeks for when they are big enough to withstand the elements. They are so fun to watch! They literally bask in the heat of the lamp. They will run over to the light and stand in front of it and "sun" themselves, front and back, then run back over to the food. When they drink they dip their heads down to the water, then tilt their heads back (like gargling) so the water can run down. When they sleep they all cuddle up together like one big ball of fur in a corner. It's hard to name them because 5 are black and 4 are orange and they all look alike. We have one speckled one that stands out from the others, thus he has been named "Speck".

We have a tractor, now we have chickens... E-I-E-I-O.....

2 comments:

Julie said...

WOW....I had a pet chicken named spicy while I was on my mission. He was very domesticated and I really loved him. He rode the bus with me and went on 3 different transfers. Many people tried to get me to eat him and I couldn't...well the day after I came back to the states my companion and the rest of my district ate him. Sigh!!

S+S said...

Yay! I found a new blog today...yours! I'm excited to read about all the Pender adventures! The chick are so cute!